Monday 26 July 2010

Different Types of Bikes

During my research, when I was reading about all these different types of bike I came to realise something; I have one of every model in the garage! So as soon as I realised this I immediately went out to the garage and started to photograph what it is I have.

Bike One: The first bike that I got out is my most recent bike that I bought at the beginning of summer, after not having a decent one for about five years. It's a 'City Discovery' and would be classed as a 'utility bike'. This means that it's not meant to be road across rough terrain for long journey's, but instead used for quick trips to the shop to pick up the essentials. It's basically a bike for your errands, and my word is it fantastic. The first thing I loved about it was the low frame so you can step straight through and mount the seat without any difficulty. The second was the sitting position itself, it upright and direct, none of this constantly having to be slouched over. Below are some images I captured of the bike.


Bike Two: The second bike I got out from the garage was one of the two mountain bikes we own. I chose to photograph this one because it is the newer model and therefore has newer features and a nicer paint job. This one in particular belongs to my mum so it is a female's bike, yet somehow I still manage to struggle to ride it. It has a bar that goes straight across the top and makes it difficult for you to step over, and the seat is incredibly high. The handlebars are at the same level as the seat which mean you ride with a slight hunch, and the gears are much more advanced than mine. The tyres are a lot wider with a big grip which makes it easier for off-roading and dirt riding.


Bike Three: The third bike that I retrieved out of the garage was a bike that belonged to me when I was about 12. At the time I was going through my tom-boy phase, a phase some would say has never ended, and wanted a bike to match my style. So I decided on a bright yellow 'Mongoose BMX'. God knows what I was thinking, but after pulling it out of the garage after all this time I've come to realise it's a pretty good bike. It's condition is fantastic and it still has all the parts it came with. I quickly jumped on it and was immediately struck by how difficult it was to ride. The whole thing is low to ground meaning my knees where bending far more than is comfortable and of course there are no gears so whatever surface or incline you're on, you just have to make do. Below are some images.





Bike Four: The last bike that I retrieved out of the garage is my dad's racing bike. It was originally bought some time in the eighties so it looks quite dated, however it's frame is timeless and from the moment you see it you realise exactly what it was designed for: speed. From the lightweight frame to the incredibly thin tires, designed for great aerodynamics, you can see how fast this thing would move if you got some speed up. Two other things that strike you straight away is the very high up seat, placed way above the handlebars, which incidentally are curved over. This is purposely done so the rider has to bend over the bike entirely, meaning a smaller surface area for wind resistance. Below are some images that don't really portray the striking frame if the bike, but nevertheless do show the basic outline.




No comments:

Post a Comment