Friday 23 July 2010

A Survey

I thought it was time I did some information gathering that I was actually in control of, so I got out there and asked the public on their opinions. I asked fifty people; 'Have you now or have you ever had a film poster displayed on your wall?'. If the answer was yes I then asked 'Name the film(s) they represent?'. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that over 50% of people had displayed movie posters, in fact 31 of 50 said yes. I was even more surprised by the posters themselves, as a certain few answers kept cropping up. The ones which seemed most popular have to be: 
Kill Bill, The Dark Knight, Back to the Future, Blade Runner, Terminator and Pulp Fiction.
Below is an images of the sketchbook where I gathered all this information.

After hearing the results I thought I would look into the most popular choices and determine just what it is about their designs that make them so popular. So below are the six most desirable posters in the eyes of the people I questioned. In all fairness I can see why people chose these options as they are bold and depict the main characters in the best way possible. However there is just something about them all that I find lackluster, may be its the lack of artistic merit or maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of the films themselves. My favourite would have to be the 'Blade Runner' design, most probably because its considered a staple of poster design and at the end of the day its one hell of a good film.

No comments:

Post a Comment